Mental health comprises an individual’s emotional, psychological, and social good health. A mentally fit human being is in tune with their spiritual quotients, actions, and behaviour. They are assertive, optimistic, happy, and robust enough to tackle any perplexing situation in their life.
In today’s contemporary world, science and technology, the industrial sector, healthcare sector, start-up culture, etc are flourishing across the globe and issues like gender equality, environmental hazards, sustainability etc are discussed publicly among citizens but unfortunately, it is not the same when it comes to mental health and its awareness.
We should give mental stability the utmost priority, but unfortunately, it is ignored and not considered to be a problem at all by numerous people.
People generally tend to have an apathetic approach toward emotions like mood swings, prolonged stress, worries, dejection, etc. Hence, ignorance leads to a major root cause of mental disorders in our bodies.
Some studies conducted on mental health:
According to the National Alliance on mental illness (NAMI), extensive research showed that every ‘one out of four students ‘ is detected with depression, anxiety, Schizophrenia and many more.
The study also portrays youths from the age group between 9 to 24 years diagnosed with mental illness.
The world health organisation also analysed that 5% of adults of the 7.3 billion total population are unhappy and not satisfied with their life.
Suicide is the fourth leading cause of death in our world.
The quantitative data exhibits an enormous shift from 8.4% in 2011-2012 to 11.6% in 2013 to 2020.
The aforementioned figures are concerning for all of us as they disintegrate the brilliance of our young and upcoming generation.
What Measures should be taken to promote mental health awareness and well-being?
- The initiative is taken by government officials and healthcare professionals to communicate issues like post-traumatic stress disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, depression, anxiety, etc among parents and students.
- This encourages people to be empathic and kind toward each other which is valuable for our world.
- The government of India has also inaugurated a National mental health programme for this global concern.
- Adopt a healthy lifestyle
Someone wisely said “A healthy body and healthy mind= happy life.”
This is true in every aspect.
- To enhance our inner peace of mind and body, we should inoculate regular exercise, and meditate for at least 15 minutes which helps to calm and balance our negative thoughts, unnecessary worries, and stress.
- We should endorse our valuable time deeply nurturing our brains by reading books, blogs, watching documentaries, films etc and simultaneously emphasise eating healthy.
- Proper treatment and therapy sessions are conducted to talk about the concern relating to the feeling of no sense of belonging, low self-esteem, bullying and many more.
- One must be able to speak their heart to someone reliable. It could be their close friend, guardian, teacher or professional.
- Hold liable for your actions
- Every person in our society must be conscious of his/her actions and behaviour towards each other.
- It is okay to say “No”.
- It is a new norm to express “No” when it is needed.
- It helps to detach us from stress, anxiety etc.
- Take time out for yourself
- Do what you appreciate like listening to music, enrol yourself in dance class, learning to play an instrument, etc.
Over a long period, mental stability has become a major consideration for every economy in the World.
We all need to come together as a team to resolve this by being resilient, and tranquil with each other.
Do you think happiness is a feeling or choice?
” you are a child of the universe,
No less than the trees and the stars,
You have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
No doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.”
Life is a blessing to all of us and it is meant to be lived and lived to the fullest to seek eternal happiness and love.